at H&K Contractors Inc. in Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
__truncato_root__>Job ID: 425339
HK Contractors, a CRH company, is a member of the CRH West Division; Our purpose, commitment to the future, and formula for growth is to champion the safety, empowerment, and development of our employees. We strive to be the preferred source of quality sand, rock, landscape products, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, paving and construction services. We succeed as a team by embracing integrity, mutual respect, innovation, service, sustainability, and financial strength.
The General Laborer is responsible for safely performing a variety of construction duties to assist the highway, utility, grade crews or at various on-site plant locations. This position involves various manual tasks. Work will be performed per the supervisor's instruction, free from direct supervision except for more complicated jobs.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
Highway Laborer :
- Prepares ground surfaces for the road building process. Removes debris out of the construction path.
- Operates ground compactors, levels out and rakes dirt, sets string markers, and removes items within the area to be paved.
- Sets up fencing, barricades, and/or safety cones to block off the work area as needed.
- Prepares manhole covers, openings and water lines. May insert risers as needed.
- Walks behind paver machine to shovel and rake asphalt as it is applied to the ground. Levels out asphalt with rake and uses shovel to dig out manhole covers and water valve boxes that are buried by the asphalt.
- Cleans asphalt off tools and equipment after each work day.
- May assist with operating equipment as needed and if trained, including paver, roller, backhoe, water truck, etc.
- Performs other laborer tasks as needed to include cutting concrete or asphalt with saw, sweeping, etc.
Utility Laborer :
- Hand shovels to prepare ground trenches for pipes and utility lines. May dig up existing pipes and lines. Pipes include water, sewer, conduit and other utility lines.
- Attaches trench box and pipes to chains or guide wires to be lifted and moved by the heavy equipment operator. Installs shoring materials.
- Guides pipes into place while equipment operator maneuvers pipe on chains/wires. Connects pipes using tools, lubricants, glue, grout, etc. Builds couplings,
- connectors, and mechanical joints using various tools and parts. Cuts pipe to size.
- Sets up and operates laser level tripod and pipe lasers.
- May operate equipment as needed if trained, including front end loader, excavator, backhoe, skidsteer and other construction equipment.
- Hand shovels and rakes to perform groundwork.
- May cut concrete with saw as needed to finish grades.
- Removes and replaces sewer/manhole/sump castings and covers in the ground.
- Assists the Grader with grading tasks as needed.
- Performs other laborer duties as required.
- May operate equipment as needed if trained, including skidsteer and other equipment.
- Performs machinery maintenance and repairs.
- Unplugs and shovels off conveyors and screens.
- Changes out screens, rollers, cone liners, etc.
- Repairs conveyor problems. Greases moving machine parts.
- Performs crusher machinery set up and take down which includes running cables and hoses, setting up blocks, assembling/disassembling machinery, operating skidsteer to move parts,...
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity