at Jannus Inc. in Boise, Idaho, United States
Afghan Community Outreach Specialist
The Idaho Office for Refugees (IOR) oversees the state’s refugee resettlement program, connecting new Americans and Idaho communities to enrich lives and create belonging. We support resettlement agencies as well as English language education, cultural events, and programs like Global Gardens, Global Talent, Neighbors United, and the Refugee Speakers Bureau.
The new Cultural Center will celebrate Afghan culture and provide space for people from refugee backgrounds to build trusting social connections and heal from trauma. It will also serve as a connector to increase collaboration and communication among resettlement agencies, services providers, will provide connections to resources, and will serve as a training hub for front line staff to help them better understand the culture and collective trauma of new arrivals from Afghanistan.
IOR is on track to open an Afghan Community Cultural Center in the Treasure Valley in the first quarter of 2023. We are seeking a dynamic, personable self-starter who can proactively develop new and diverse relationships and use creative communication tools. The successful candidate will engage the local Afghan community, stakeholders, and community partners to facilitate engagement and resolve issues affecting families from Afghanistan in Idaho.
The Community Outreach Specialist will be responsible for clearly communicating the mission, vision, and work of program with diverse audiences through the creation of information handouts in multiple languages (English, Dari/Farsi, Pashto), presentations, meeting facilitation, and one-on-one conversations. This role is also responsible for support, management, and coordination of task force committees in the Cultural Center. The position will lead coordination of coalitions and networks of individuals and task groups that promote Afghan culture, facilitate resolutions to the community needs, and support strong relationship building among the Afghan community and the broader communities in Idaho.
The Community Outreach Specialist will be a member of a dynamic and fast-paced mission-driven team committed to making a difference in the lives of Afghans residing in Idaho. This position includes light administrative duties and will assist with fund development tasks and reporting related to the program’s achieved objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties recorded below are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbents(s) of any particular position.
- Conduct daily operations of a Cultural Center in a physical space where everyone feels welcome.
• Ensure a clean, safe, environment; maintain furniture and equipment.
• Conduct reporting and program improvement including data collection and monitoring with a goal of achievement and continuous program improvement, report findings to the program manager.
• Collaborate and maintain partnerships with resettlement agency staff, schools, and other community partners.
• Support the outreach to Afghan community members to be part of the center and participate in center activities.
• Provide guidance and referrals based on participants’ ongoing, daily or nuanced needs in person, over the phone, and text by taking a relationship-based approach.
• Facilitating workshops, classes, ensuring the community has language access to all programing and space has been created for safe conversations.
• Coordinate Virtual digital groups (WhatsApp or Zoom) as a community guide by answering questions, announcing events, and connecting to resources.
• Support the systems to continuously monitor the quality of all refugee support programming based on feedback from the Afghan community
• Ensure that Afghan members of the community have access to all programing and activities by supporting transportation and other needs participants might have
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND EDUCATION:
Genuine interest and support of Jannus’ commitment to diversity, race, equity, and inclusion. Integrating these concepts into daily activities to create healthy workplace environments
• A strong commitment to the mission of Community Cultural Center
• Excellent communication skills to advance mission, vision, and objectives of the Community Cultural Center, including the ability to convey information clearly to a range of audiences, the ability to listen to diverse stakeholders and Afghans from various backgrounds
• The ability to have effective conversations about sensitive and complex topics
• Strong research skills and ability to obtain, analyze, and compile data related to issues facing the Afghan community and outcomes
• Excellent organizational skills, especially the ability to follow through on commitments to external stakeholders and tasks assigned by their supervisor
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the capacity to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with people and organizations interested in supporting the Community Cultural Center
• Experience in community coalition development or facilitation
• Familiarity with local, state, or federal laws, regulations, and policies
• Fluency in English, Dari, and Pashto
• Must have reliable transportation for travel to meetings within the Treasure Valley, a valid driver’s license, and able to provide proof of state mandated liability insurance
• Completion of criminal history background check, post offer of employment.
To Apply: Visit the Jannus Employment page at www.jannus.org/employment and click on the job posting link to be directed to a secure application portal. If you are unable to submit the application through the electronic application process, please contact Jannus Human Resources at 208.336.5533. Applications will be accepted through February 8, 2023.